Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

More me

Growing up I was a very well adjusted, smart girl.  My family was respected and middle class.  We took vacations every other year, theme parks and skiing.  I grew up at the beach and spent my summers sailing and swimming in the ocean or my grandmother's pool.  I got very good grades with very little effort.  I played sports, enjoyed art, played instruments, was in drama and very involved at school.

But none of that is really important.  None of that tells you anything about me.

I never really had any friends.  I could only handle one at a time.  I never had sleep overs (at my house) or birthday parties.  I never really belonged with any groups.  I participated in extracurricular activities but that was all part of appearances.   I always knew the expectations and I never questioned my role in my family.

Only in my adulthood have I realized the dysfunction.  Only as an adult have I learned what was normal and what wasn't.


No comments:

Post a Comment