Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

5-O

I'm trying to remember how old I was the first time the police came to my house.  I know I was in elementary school and for some reason I want to say I was in second grade.

My sister and I learned to hide when the yelling started to get bad.  Dad was very verbally abusive when he was angry but for some reason things changed this time.  This fight is my first memory of violence.  Since we were hiding we didn't witness it but I know that it sounded like the house was being destroyed.  Then it was quiet.  Finally Dad came looking for my sister and I.  He was telling us everything was okay, it was safe to come out.  We didn't see Mom anywhere.  We couldn't hear her crying.  Dad was telling us to put on our shoes and coats, that we were going out.  As I got to the front door I remember looking out and seeing police cars pulling into the drive way. 

It turns out that Mom had left the house and called the police.  I remember the cops coming into the house, my mom behind them.  One of the cops picked me up and was talking to me, I don't remember anything he said but I do remember him carrying me to the police car.  We stayed at my grandma's house for a while after that, without my dad.  I don't know how long we stayed there but I do remember crying about missing my dad and my grandmother told me that I needed to be a "big girl and stop crying about it."

No comments:

Post a Comment